Cressler and Bonner Building
Main Street, Cedarville
The Cressler and Bonner Building was completed
in January 1885 after almost two years of construction.
It was built for William Cressler and John Bonner by J.R.
Cook. The building is 100 feet long, 64 feet high and was
constructed from locally fired bricks.
The magnificent building cost $18,000 to
build. The walls are 28 inches thick and there are steel
shuttered doors and windows on the first floor which were
manufactured in San Francisco and serve to make the building
The exterior of the building has
turned posts supporting an awning and turned-wood railings,
all added on in the ensuing years. An exact copy of the
original Cressler-Bonner sign was recently hung. Otherwise,
its exterior has remained largely unchanged over the last
When the new building was finished, it housed
a dry goods store, hardware and grocery stores, and the
Bank of Cressler and Bonner.
The building featured the only operating
elevator in the county for many years. The hand-cranked,
cable-driven elevator is still used today by Skip Arnew,
owner of the saddle shop.
The old bank space is now occupied
by Floating Islands Bookstore. The original vault remains
and the shop's doors and wainscoting feature a faux wood graining painted on with feathers.
The building's upstairs was once used as a lodge, a pool hall, and for dances. Today, it is an open apartment and the tenant occasionally hosts poetry readings, art shows, and special exhibits in the space.
The General Store now serves as a coffee
house and cafe known as "Surprise!".
Proprietor Sheila Cotton also offers wireless internet service.
Return to Historic Buildings
06 Oct 2021 12:33:30 -0700